Sunday, January 4, 2009

My Thoughts on Section 102, Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act



I don't know much about this new policy but the little that I have read is quite disconcerting. This new policy isn't just about requiring large manufacturers of children's toys to conducting testing for lead and other harmful chemicals. As I understand it, EVERY manufacturer whether large or small (and yes, "crafters" who create one-of-a-kind items are considered to be manufacturers) who makes an item that is intentionally made for OR which might inevitably come into contact with, a child 12 years of age or under, will be required to conduct testing of each and every single component of which their items are comprised. In an effort to protect myself, I have put disclaimers in my listings that my items are NOT intended for children age 12 or younger. Will this protect me? I'm not sure.

It might be a bit of a bother for larger manufacturers but they will comply and we, as consumers, will bear the costs of this testing by price increases from the manufacturer. For the small business owner, it's a catastrophic. A small seller cannot afford to do this kind of testing - both financially and time-wise, it's virtually impossible.

So much for "One of a Kind", eh?

No comments: