Thursday, November 6, 2008

Kawaii Felt Mascot Plushie

To the left is my first attempt at creating a felt plushie; it's obviously not done yet. I still need to stuff and sew up the head and then attach the head to the body but I'm loving the way she's turning out!

A few weeks ago, I visited the Kinokuniya Bookstore in Japantown and picked up a wonderful book. It's all in Japanese but the diagrams are very thorough.

Since this plushie is hand-sewn, it is very tedious and time consuming. Add to the fact I want the stitching to look as perfect as possible and well, I've spent some time on this little thing. Even more difficult than the actual stitching was the cutting of the felt. I have several pairs of shears but because of their size, I could not cut the shapes as precise as I wanted. A new pair of smaller scissors put an end to that problem and now cutting is a breeze. I've been looking into purchasing a cutter but I need to learn more about them to see if they can do what I want.

Hopefully, I'll post a completed pic soon!



No comments: